Black players in the England soccer team have been subjected to a storm of online racist abuse after their defeat in the final of Euro 2020, drawing wide condemnation from the squad’s manager Gareth Southgate along with royalty and politicians.
Marcus Rashford, 23, Jadon Sancho, 21, and Bukayo Saka, 19, were the targets of the abuse after they missed spot-kicks in a penalty shootout with Italy which settled Sunday’s final after the game finished as a 1-1 draw.
The comments have prompted a police investigation and wide condemnation, although critics accused some ministers of hypocrisy for refusing to support a high-profile anti-racist stance the players had made during the tournament.
Italian soccer fans celebrate in Toronto’s Little Italy after Euro 2020 final win over England
“For some of them to be abused is unforgivable,” Southgate told a news conference. “Some of it has come from abroad, we have been told this, but some of it is from this country.”
The England team has earned praise for their stand against racism, while a number of players have also campaigned on other social causes. The multi-racial make-up of the team had been hailed as reflecting a more diverse modern Britain.
The team had highlighted the issue of racism by taking the knee before all their matches – a protest made by American footballer Colin Kaepernick and followed by the Black Lives Matter movement last year – saying it was a simple show of solidarity against racial discrimination.
However, some fans have booed the gesture, with critics viewing it a politicization of sport and expression of sympathy with far-left politics.
Italy wins Euro 2020 final beating England
Some ministers have been accused of hypocrisy for refusing to criticize those who booed and using it as part of a wider “culture war,” often portrayed as a rift between those wanting to protect Britain’s heritage from a “woke” youth, who see their elders as blocking moves to end racial and social injustice.
“This England team deserve to be lauded as heroes, not racially abused on social media,” Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Twitter. “Those responsible for this appalling abuse should be ashamed of themselves.”
While Johnson himself said the team should not be booed, his own spokesman had declined to criticize the fans over the issue when asked.
Biden fires Trump-appointed U.S. Social Security chief after he refuses to resign
Having a more intense response to 2nd COVID-19 vaccine dose? Here’s why
Home Secretary (interior minister) Priti Patel also said last month she did not support players taking the knee because it was “gesture politics” and that it was a choice for the fans whether to boo players. On Monday, she joined those who denounced the abuse.
But the deputy leader of the opposition Labour Party, Angela Rayner, said Johnson and Patel were themselves at fault.
“The Prime Minister and the Home Secretary gave license to the racists who booed the England players and are now racially abusing England players,” she said on Twitter.
“Boris Johnson and Priti Patel are like arsonists complaining about a fire they poured petrol on. Total hypocrites,” Rayner said.
While the social media feeds of the players also showed huge levels of support and gratitude from fans for the tournament, the abuse overshadowed the positive messages.
Britain’s Prince William condemned what he called the “disgusting” racist abuse.
“It is totally unacceptable that players have to endure this abhorrent behavior,” said Queen Elizabeth’s grandson Prince William, who said he was “sickened.”
“It must stop now and all those involved should be held accountable,” William, who is president of the Football Association, said on Twitter.
The Football Association said fans who exhibited such “disgusting behavior” were not welcome and urged the authorities to hand out “the toughest punishments possible.”
European soccer governing body UEFA also condemned the abuse and called for the strongest possible punishments.
Soccer fans fill Montreal terraces as Italy takes on England in Euro 2020 Cup final
London Police said officers were aware of the offensive and racist comments, and would take action. A mural of Rashford, who had campaigned for poor children to be given more support during the pandemic, was also covered in abuse.
The issue of online abuse of players led to British soccer authorities briefly boycotting social media platforms prior to the tournament.
A Twitter spokesperson said they had removed more than 1,000 tweets and permanently suspended a number of accounts, saying the “abhorrent racist abuse” had no place on the platform.
(Additional reporting by Simon Evans and Manasi Pathak; editing by Alistair Smout, Kate Holton and Angus MacSwan)